First of all, I don’t want to raise a topic “Exceptions versus Error Codes”. But if you need to return a result code and you use Scala, I have an elegant solution for you to do so.
I doubt a bit, but then I decided to try to submit a patch to JDK with the performance improvement. I’ve read couple articles, cloned code and realized that fromString implementation has been changed in JDK9 :)
I spent some time on optimizing UUID.fromString function and I want to share my experience about it. TL;DR — we will improve it’s performance 4+ times in 7 steps.
My blog post was published in a Wix Engineering Blog. It was hugely edited before with the real editor. It’s funny to find out that your English is worse than you thought before :) But I don’t upset, on the contrary – it’s a good way to improve yourself.
Recently I’ve fixed a flaky test and I want to share some thoughts (very trivial) about how to make no mistakes. So, we have a simple class Throttler for dealing high load on a some part of code (basically it’s a wrapper around Semaphore):